Friday, January 1, 2010

Making a Statement/Taking a Stand

I'm a shooter and I try to keep my opinions to just that, shooting. I usually steer clear of political debates or endorsing certain types of doctrine over others. However, there is something I feel strongly about, and I want to bring it to as many peoples' attention as possible. The topic is concealed carry. If you live in a state that allows concealed carry, and you are eligible, I highly suggest you take the time to get your concealed carry weapons permit. I've been shooting for over 35 years and I've never needed to use a firearm to defend myself. I owe that to the great country we live in and those in Law Enforcement and the military who have gone in harms way on my behalf. However, I've witnessed several attempts by politicians to restrict or revoke our Second Amendment Rights. Politicians love polls and statistics. It is impossible for a politician to ignore the steep rise in CCW permits applied for and issued each year in this country. Every person who jumps through the hoops needed to acquire their CCW permit puts a flag on the map designating another area of the country that highly values their Second Amendment Rights. Policy makers have and will continue to think twice before putting their name on a gun control bill while a majority of their constituents are registered CCW permit holders.

I know several instructors who provide the guns for their students to take the CCW class. Therefore, even if you don't own a handgun, you can get your CCW permit. You don't have to be an experienced shooter either. You just have to put in the time one Saturday, take the test and pay the fee. Anyone of age can get their permit. Every permit that is issued is positive statistic for gun rights advocates to use to keep the un-Constitutional gun control legislation from every making it to the House of Representatives in the first place. It also forms a positive base for promoting bills that will reverse some of the previous gun control acts.

A few years ago, only a handful of states allowed concealed carry. Fewer states allowed the ownership of Class III firearms. Today, around 75% of the country allows CCW and more than half allows its citizens to own short barreled rifles and sound suppressors. Regardless of who is currently sitting in the Oval Office, the House, the Senate, or the Speaker of the House's chair, control legislation in this country is moving in a positive direction regarding our rights to keep and bear arms. Your mother, father, wife, children, and friends all need their CCW permits regardless of their need or intention to carry a concealed weapon. There was a time not too long ago that the only statistic politicians paid attention to was the membership in the NRA. Now, gun rights supporters have choices on how they send their messages to their state and federal government officials. I choose to send as many messages as possible. I'm a member of the NRA, NSSF and several other organizations. However, I feel that my CCW leaves little doubt how I tend to vote on election day.

Now, back to shooting.

No comments:

Post a Comment